You are looking at historical revision 24795 of this page. It may differ significantly from its current revision.
CHICKEN Scheme hacking sprint
On our last meeting at FrOSCon the idea of having another hacking sprint (aka CHICKEN weekend) has come up. I am willing to organize logistics for a meetup at Nuremberg, Germany. Since some foreign guests might want to do a little sightseeing as well and we are already busy in autumn with T-DOSE in Eindhoven, I propose one of the first three december weekends.
Nuremberg, Germany, Planet Earth 2011 (exact venue still undefined)
To make further synchronisation of the date easier I have setup a little planner here:
Who is allowed to join?
This is an open invitation for anyone that wants to help the CHICKEN Scheme project improve.
What will be provided?
I will organize the venue and come up with a plan to get food and entertainment in time without the hassle to reinvent democracy. I might be able to come up with some interesting accommodation venues but that is still in a planning stage.
What will we be doing there?
Hacking on CHICKEN, socialising and having fun of course. An initial proposal for possible topics has been made by Felix (feel free to add your topic!):
- Optimization and refactoring of the core libraries. Peter suggested this once (for a particular case in srfi-1.scm) and I'm sure there can be lots of improvements everywhere. Now, with specialization, it would be worthwhile to have unsafe entry points that typesafe code can specialize too (work intensive, mostly useful for performance freaks and for bragging)
- A COMPREHENSIVE test suite, probably (at least partially) machine- generated. That means tests for each and every library function (endless toil, gain: a good feeling, but still somewhat boring)
- A "battery included" distribution, sort of like the "Haskell Platform", with portable binaries for Windows, Mac and Linux (to make it easy to give it a try, to grab new users by the neck)
- Distributed, turnkey salmonella runs ("Salmonalla @ HOME" - Yuck!)
- The Book. I think this is what we really need.
What can I do if I am too far away or otherwise unable to come to Nuremberg?
We will also have a close eye on our IRC channel #chicken on freenode, so you can join the fun via the internet!